Church of St Peter
Meads Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, England
In 1894-96 Henry Currey built the St Peter's Church on Meads Road crossing Granville road, near Eastbourne Town Hall, on land donated by the Duke of Devonshire, who also gave £5000. A further anonymous donation of £5000 enabled the whole church, seating 800 persons, to be built at a cost of £16,000.
The church was demolished in 1971, but the description below is from the time, when it was still there: Coursed rubble, ashlar quoins. Main feature is window arcading; 15 glass windows in groups of 3 with 1 blank between each group. Tile roof. Interior - red brick with ashlar columns and window architraves.
Currey's Early English Gothic Revival design made use of stone (for the exterior) and brick (inside, where there was also a hanging Rood). The lancet style was old fashioned by this date and the broad west front had gabled aisles and a west narthex, the centre part of which was raised. The brick-faced interior had blank arcading and no chancel arch. In an age where fewer people went to church, there were now too many churches in the area, so this was pulled down in 1971. A few fittings are now in neighboring churches.
In 2015 the sussexparishchurches.org website mentions that five windows, which were in the apse were made by C. E. Kempe, and that they are now in the St Peter's Hydneye (see below) and that the rest is missing.
St Peter's Hydneye, Eastbourne.
Click here to compare our window in Florida with another Kempe dedication window in Marton Hall, Yorkshire, England.